Carleton Place is excited to once again be participating in the Doors Open phenomenon on Saturday September 21 2019!
It was 200 years ago that the Moore family first arrived from Ireland to what is now Carleton Place to put down roots. Soon after, they were opening their door to shelter fellow settlers. We are thrilled to be continuing in this tradition of Doors Open!
This year we’ve got 18 different sites that will be opening their doors to the public, all free of charge! This is a great opportunity for residents to play tourist in their own town, and one more reason for visitors to come and discover what the town of Carleton Place has to offer as we celebrate 200 years as a community!
Organized by the Municipal Heritage Committee, the event is coming together with the assistance of the Ontario Heritage Trust, The Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum and Downtown Carleton Place.
Some of the highlights of this year’s Doors Open event include:
- Free wagon rides between sites with host Linda Seccaspina’s commentary
- Tours of the wool grading facility at the Canadian Cooperative Woolgrowers
- Guided tours of the Carleton Place Town Hall, taking you backstage in the historical auditorium where you can stand on one of Canada’s few remaining raked stages
- Tours of the SamBat baseball bat factory
- Antique quilt displays at the Baptist Church and St. James Anglican Church
- Behind the scenes tours at The Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum
- The Old Federal Building (Post Office) open to the public for the first time in many years
- St. Mary’s Catholic School inviting you to celebrate their 60th anniversary
Beyond exploring the buildings, you’ll want to partake in:
- a Bicentennial Victorian tea with fancy finger foods at St. James Church Hall (free!)
- a Bicentennial Antique Show and Sale, also at St. James Church Hall
- Beverages on the patio at both Boulton House and Braumeister Brewing Company
Saturday, September 21, 2019 from 10am to 4pm
Event location :
Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum
267 Edmund Street, Carleton Place, ON K7C 3E8
Jennifer at 613-253-7013 or email email@example.com