Carleton Place (population 10,000) is a town in the eastern portion of Eastern Ontario, Canada, in Lanark County, about 46 kilometres (29 mi) west of downtown Ottawa on the Central Ontario (Highway 7) route of the Trans-Canada Highway. It is located at the crossroads of Highway 15 and Highway 7, midway between the town of Perth and the nation’s capital, Ottawa.
Carleton Place, originally known as Morphy’s Falls, was chosen as a mill site by Edmond Morphy in 1819. It is located on the Mississippi River, a tributary of the Ottawa River. It became a village in 1870, and a town in 1890. The name later given to the settlement was after the street in Glasgow, but the spelling was altered in 1829.
As a result of the population growth in Carleton Place and area, Highway 7 has been in the process of expanding the number of lanes from 2 to 4 as it will allow better traffic flow from the country into the city during rush hour periods. The expansion of Highway 7 will start from 417 Highway and will end once it reaches Carleton Place and is expected to be completed by the end of 2011.
In addition to the Highway expansion, there has been a rapid expansion of retail stores in Carleton place, mainly concentrated on McNeely Ave between Hwy 7 and Franktown Road since early 2007. Many new stores have opened up and several existing ones have relocated to a larger, newly constructed building in this time, including Buster’s, Home Depot, Staples, a Wal-Mart Supercentre, Giant Tiger(relocated) Shopper’s Drug Mart, Rona(relocated), Canadian Tire(relocated) EB games, Dollarama and Mark’s Work Wearhouse with several more under construction, as of July 2008 including a new LCBO and a Starbuck’s coffee shop. As of December 2009, an A & W Restaurant was also built beside the Home Depot. In addition to these retail locations, house and condominium construction is also in the works. Carleton Place is a Sister City to Franklin, Tennessee, USA and Comrie, Scotland.